PM Narendra Modi launched his government's flagship scheme for farmers, Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN), from Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh.
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, launched the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN) from Gorakhpur on 24th February 2019.
With the launch today, the first instalment of Rs 2,000 will be directly credited to the bank accounts of selected beneficiary farmers.
The Prime Minister congratulated the farmers for the launch of Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi. He also congratulated farmer families engaged in dairy farming, and fisheries, as they now have access to Kisan Credit Cards.
Addressing the gathering, the Prime Minister said that this day is etched in history, because the biggest scheme for farmers since independence, has begun today.
The Prime Minister said that the Government is determined to make the farmers capable and empowered. He said that the Government is working to provide all the necessary means to the farmers, to enable them to double their income by 2022.
About 12 crore farmers are expected to benefit from PM-KISAN. The Prime Minister said that through this scheme, Rs. 75,000 crore will be transferred to farmers’ accounts every year. He urged State Governments to send the lists of beneficiary farmers to the Union Government at the earliest, so that farmers can receive the benefit of this scheme in time.
- PM KISAN is a Central Sector scheme with 100% funding from Government of India
- It has become operational from 1.12.2018.
- Under the scheme an income support of Rs.6000/- per year in three equal instalments will be provided to small and marginal farmer families having combined land holding/ownership of upto 2 hectares
- Definition of family for the scheme is husband, wife and minor children.
- State Goverment and UT Administration will identify the farmer families which are eligible for support as per scheme guidelines.
- The fund will be directly transferred to the bank accounts of the beneficiaries.
- The first instalment for the period 1.12.2018 to 31.03.2019 is to be provided in this financial year itself.
- There are various Exclusion Categories for the scheme.
Detailed Analysis on Pradhan Mantri KIsan SAmman Nidhi (PM-KISAN).
*With a view to augment the income of the Small and Marginal Farmers (SMFs), the Government has launched a new Central Sector Scheme, namely, “Pradhan Mantri KIsan SAmman Nidhi (PM-KISAN)” in the current financial year.
*The PM-KISAN scheme aims to supplement the financial needs of the SMFs in procuring various inputs to ensure proper crop health and appropriate yields, commensurate with the anticipated farm income at the end of the each crop cycle.
*This would also protect them from falling in the clutches of moneylenders for meeting such expenses and ensure their continuance in the farming activities.
Cut-off Date -
*The Scheme shall be effective from 01.12.2018 for transfer of benefit to eligible beneficiaries.
*The cut-off date for determining the eligibility of beneficiaries, has been kept as 01.02.2019.
*Changes, if any, in the cut-off date for eligibility of benefit under the scheme for next 5 years will only be considered with approval of the Cabinet. However benefit will be allowed on transfer of ownership of cultivable land on account of succession due to death of the landowner.
Definition of Families _
*The SMFs landholder farmer family is defined as “a family comprising of husband, wife and minor children who collectively own cultivable land upto 2 hectare as per land records of the concerned State/UT”.
Basis for Identification-
*The number of eligible SMFs under the scheme has been estimated on the basis of projection of Agricultural Census 2015-16 data for 2018-19.
*The projected number of holding of SMFs landholder farmer families for FY 2018-19 is 13.15 crore.
* Due to likely exclusion of certain categories of beneficiaries of higher economic strata, the total number of eligible beneficiaries has been taken as 12.50 crore.
*The existing land-ownership system will be used for identification of beneficiaries for calculation of financial benefit under the scheme.
Scheme Contours and Financial Outlay-
*The Scheme to be implemented as Central Sector Scheme with 100% financial support by Government of India (GoI).
*For financial year 2018-19, a budget provision of Rs. 20,000 crore has been kept for disbursal of financial benefit to the eligible landholding SMFs families.
*Similarly, a budgetary provision of Rs. 75,000 crore has been kept in the financial year 2019-20 for disbursal of financial benefits to eligible landholding SMFs families.
Benefit to eligible SMFs -
*Under the Scheme, a direct payment of Rs. 6000 per year will be transferred in three equal installments of Rs. 2000 each every four months into the Aadhar ceded bank accounts of eligible landholding SMFs families.
*The first installment for the period 01.12.2018 to 31.03.2019, under the scheme will be transferred to the eligible beneficiaries in the current financial year (2018-19) itself. First Installment shall be transferred immediately on identification of the beneficiaries.
Aadhar Capturing -
*For availing benefits under the scheme, Aadhaar is mandatory. However, in cases, where the beneficiaries at present are not having Aadhar or Aadhar Enrollment number, alternate prescribed documents can be collected for identity verification and transfer of benefit to such farmer families for transfer of 1st installment in 2018-19.
*All such beneficiaries not having Aadhaar card shall have to be compulsorily enrolled under Aadhaar, since transfer of subsequent installments will be done only on basis of Aadhaar seeded data base.
*States/UTs to ensure that there is no duplication of the payment transferred to eligible families. Speedy reconciliation in case of wrong/incomplete bank details of the beneficiary to be ensured.
Monitoring of the Scheme -
*For effective review and monitoring of the scheme, a Project Monitoring Unit (PMU) at Central level will be set up in DAC&FW.
*The PMU headed by Chief Executive Officer (CEO), shall also undertake publicity campaign (Information, Education and Communication-IEC).
*A stratified review/monitoring mechanism at National, State and District Level.
*At the National level, there will be a Monitoring Committee headed by Cabinet Secretary. State Govt. shall also notify the Monitoring Committees at the State & the District Level.
- The following categories of beneficiaries of higher economic status shall not be eligible for benefit under the scheme.
- (a) All Institutional Land holders.
- (b) Farmer families in which one or more of its members belong to following categories
- i) Former and present holders of constitutional posts
- ii) Former and present Ministers/ State Ministers and former/present Members of LokSabha/ RajyaSabha/ State Legislative Assemblies/ State Legislative Councils,former and present Mayors of Municipal Corporations, former and present Chairpersons of District Panchayats.
- iii) All serving or retired officers and employees of Central/ State Government Ministries /Offices/Departments and its field units Central or State PSEs and Attached offices /Autonomous Institutions under Government as well as regular employees of the Local Bodies
(Excluding Multi Tasking Staff /Class IV/Group D employees)
- vi)All superannuated/retired pensioners whose monthly pension is Rs.10,000/-or more
(Excluding Multi Tasking Staff / Class IV/Group D employees) of above category
- v) All Persons who paid Income Tax in last assessment year
- vi) Professionals like Doctors, Engineers, Lawyers, Chartered Accountants, and Architects registered with Professional bodies and carrying out profession by undertaking practices.