• In its continued endeavor to promote eco-friendly practices and Ecosystem Restoration, HCL Foundation, the CSR arm of HCL Technologies, launched HCL Harit – The Green Initiative (earlier incubated under HCL Uday - A holistic urban CSR initiative addressing all forms of urban poverty).
• HCL Harit is a distinct flagship programme for environment action, with the vision ‘to conserve, restore and enhance indigenous environmental systems and respond to climate change in a sustainable manner through community engagement’. All the interventions under HCL Harit follow ‘Participatory and Convergent Approaches’ for attaining the desired results aligned to the National Indicator Framework and Sustainable Development Goals.
• HCL Foundation also launched the official logo of HCL Harit. The balance of the world, nature and butterfly depicted in the logo imagery is reflective of HCL Harit and HCL Foundation’s larger belief that human settlements can only prosper when social and economic goals are fully integrated with environmental objectives.
• HCL Harit will focus on:
o Increasing green cover, carbon sequestration, native biodiversity through afforestation and habitat improvement
o Conservation and rejuvenation of waterbodies through community engagement
o Reduction in CO2 emissions
o Improvement of Coastal and Marine Habitats for native biodiversity
o Improving lives of stray animals and addressing human animal conflict inside community areas
o Enhancing environment awareness among communities through environment education with the help of innovative tools and techniques
• During its incubation period, Harit planted & nurtured 250,000+ saplings spanning an area of almost 115 acres, reduced emissions/sequestered 285 tons of CO2e, removed 7,000+ waste from coastal areas, and rejuvenated 50+ waterbodies, resulting in 5,000+ million litres increase in water holding capacity. Through various outreach efforts & environment education projects, it reached 20,000+ people and ensured care and treatment for 21,000+ street animals.
• HCL Foundation is committed towards conservation of environment and the indigenous flora and fauna. It has been working towards providing affordable, reliable, sustainable innovative solutions to combat climate change and its impact. In its endeavor to work towards the environment, HCL Foundation works towards protecting, restoring, and promoting sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystem along with conservation of natural water bodies, including restoration and conservation of waterbodies, and others.
Quote from Ms. Nidhi Pundhir, Director, HCL Foundation:
“HCL Foundation stands firmly against exploitation of natural resources, and works towards furthering the people, planet, peace and prosperity agenda, aligned with the Global Sustainable Development Goals. With the growing need to invest in ecosystem conservation, we have ramped up our efforts towards creation of a greener and more sustainable future. The launch of HCL Harit – the green initiative by HCL Foundation, as a distinct CSR flagship programme is a step towards the same direction. While HCL Foundation has always prioritized environment action, we now aim to further achieve defined targets towards increasing green cover, carbon sequestration, native biodiversity through afforestation, water conservation & habitat improvement. In this endeavour HCL Foundation will establish most meaningful partnerships with Government, Social Purpose Organisations, communities and other stakeholders to create high level of impact through much needed action towards environmental restoration and development as well as promoting sustainable ways of living.